Thursday, June 02, 2005

Shooting Stars

Invasion of Privacy – the publicizing of another’s private affairs with which the public has no legitimate concern, or wrongful intrusion into another’s private affairs, or wrongful intrusion into another’s private affairs in such a manner as to cause a person shame, embarrassment, or mental suffering.

I read this definition after seeing all the Brad & Angie updates, and their faces plastered on every celebrity-based mag in the checkouts. I’ve often heard it said that being in the spotlight is part of their job as actors and celebrities. But frankly, I know when I’m working I consider what I do on my own time to be my own business. There are a few jobs, like clergy, law enforcement, and possibly the health care industry where it matters how you appear in the public eye.

Being a celebrity should not mean losing a right to privacy. These people have rights too. The freedom of the press is no excuse for hounding a person. It is true, there are a few that have based their fame on having no other talent other than showing up scantily clad and posing for the cameras, with their dogs and other co-stars.

And this always brings me to the subject of paparazzi...
The freedom of the press is no excuse for hounding a person. Within the space of two weeks, there have been two cases of actresses being endangered by the actions of paparazzi. Last month Reese Witherspoon was chased to her gated community as she left the gym and had to call police to intervene. Yesterday Lindsay Lohan’s car was involved in an accident when a paparazzi rammed into her. He was charged with probable assault with a deadly weapon and held under a $35,000 bond. I wonder which gossip rag paid his bail???

When is this going to stop? Are we going to experience an American equivalent of Princess Di’s fate before something is done to curtail these leeches? They aren’t even deserving of the title “photographer” and should be treated as criminals. There should be a law making it illegal to approach anyone with a camera within 50-feet without their permission. If a picture of an average citizen is published, the photographer must obtain a signed consent form. Why should it be different for celebrities?

As long as there is a market for the pictures, the paparazzi will be there. As long as people buy the magazines and newspapers, there were continue to be a market. Is that really where the consumers money should go? Next time, instead of buying the one of the tabloids, save the money for charity. Give it to the ASPCA. The local animal shelter. The Red Cross. Amnesty International. Save the money, put it in a jar and save it to send a child, or yourself to college. $3 a week adds up to $156 a year. Multiply that buy the number of celebrity magazines and tabloids you buy and see how much money that would be. Here's a place to check it out.



People ask me for my autograph after a show. I'm not famous, I think they're messing with me. I think they're trying to make me late for something. ~ Mitch Hedberg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home