Thursday, May 26, 2005

Tastes Like Chicken?

Yesterday marked 30 days of abstinence from meat.
I’m beginning to feel like a new person. I’m calmer and able to handle stress better. And there are a few surprises, a few other changes in my body that I’m not really going to go into here. I’ve found a few message boards (my other obsession) to compare notes and get tips on what products to buy. However, I am fast becoming a “junkfood vegetarian,” since I was already crazy about meatfree products like potato chips and Payday candy bars. Maybe I should give up fried foods and sugar, too.

     I use to think eating fake meat like veggie burgers and shaped formed sausage links was being hypocritical. I mean, if you are going to be a vegetarian, why would you eat something that even “looked” like meat even though it is made with soy protein? Now they have “chicken” nuggets and fake riblets that look like those McRib fillers at McDonald’s. It’s like saying, I’m a vegetarian, but I want to look like I’m eating meat like everyone else. But after taking three semesters of biology, I get it. Your body can tell the difference between proteins, starches and fats. Protein is protein, whether it is animal or vegetable. So I guess there is validation in eating fake meat. Besides, Boca tomato and basil burgers don’t taste half bad.

     I guess I can use the word “vegetarian” in describing myself now. It feels like a good fit. I think we all need words to describe ourselves. Writer, actor, doctor, lawyer, student, animal activist . We need that niche, that category, even if it doesn’t encompass who we are, it tells the world “what” we are. It is so sad that we define ourselves by what we see in the mirror. The mirror doesn’t show what we are inside, only what we see.




Fettuccini Alfredo is macaroni and cheese for adults. ~ Mitch Hedberg

That would be cool if you could eat a good food with a bad food and the good food would cover for the bad food when it got to your stomach. Like you could eat a carrot with an onion ring and they would travel down to your stomach, then they would get there, and the carrot would say, "It's cool, he's with me." ~ Mitch Hedberg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home