Monday, May 30, 2005

Scriptus Eruptus

I guess the hardest thing about writing, this blog or anything else, is not knowing how your readers will react. I’ve been writing for years and never published anything. Not in hard copy, anyway. A few stories on the Internet, but does that really count? I’d never considered how scary it must be for a writer to put something out there and not get feedback. I bet Stephen King would be horrified if he published a book and didn’t get a single letter about it.

I originally set out to write this blog for someone in particular, but that sort of took a harsh turn right about the time I found out about Mitch Hedberg’s death. I realized then that life is too short to be taken for granted. I realized that we have to do what we want to do for ourselves before it’s too late. I wanted more than anything to see Mitch do his act the next time he came to the area. I can never do that now.

I also knew I was going to have fun with this. I mean, who cares if it’s crap, so is 95% of what is published on the Internet. I want to write about what I find interesting, funny, sad, bad, about life, the Internet, and the world around me. And if that’s entertaining to someone else, then wonderful! If it’s not, then oh well, I tried. That’s just too bad.

So while I was waiting for the muse to come up behind and slap me in the back of the head, I went blog surfing. It gets my mind off writing my own blog for a while and also gives me more confidence when I look at some of the really bad ones. Over all, here are some things observations I’ve made...

    A large percentage of people who write blogs can’t spell....(there is this wonderful book called a d-i-c-t-i-o-n-a-r-y). A few misspellings I can tolerant, but some of these people write like they barely got out of third grade. “Hey, I gonna get me one of those blog thingies! Then all my friends will know how ignorant I really am.” Okay, I’m sorry .... that’s just plain mean! But really, if you have Word on your computer, write your blog there and run a spell check in it. Copy and pasted it into the blog editor. Then every one will be happy. Your senior high school English teacher will be so proud of you!

    Half the people on Blogspot are from Singapore. Just an unbiased observation. No more, no less.

    Listening to an Avril Lavigne song three times is about all I can tolerate while reading a blog. Even if the blog is fascinating and entertaining. Please include a player on your blog for those of us who don’t share your taste in music so we can cut the bitch off! No, no, darling! I didn’t mean you, Avril, sweetheart.

    I need to learn Spanish. I feel like I’m missing something....

    A lot of people who have blogs like black backgrounds. I don’t.

    Oh, and please don’t insult my intelligence with one of those stupid pop-up scripts telling me I have to update my browser.

    There are way too many people putting up blogs just for the sake of putting up a blog, then they don’t have a damn thing to say.....whoa...I went too far on that one, didn’t I?
    No, see....I have a medical condition called scriptus eruptus complicated by ADHD and I can’t stop writing...I write about anything and everything and only a small percentage of it is worth reading.


Oh, man....I really need to get a job!!!!!!!





As a comedian, you have to start the show strong and you have to end the show strong. Those are the two key elements. You can't be like pancakes. You're all happy at first, but then by the end, you're sick of 'em. ~ Mitch Hedberg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home