I just visited my “poor neglected blog” for the first time in ages. I guess I wanted to see if it was still there. And it is. The Stephen Fry YouTube video is still there, waiting to be played. I feel somewhat guilty because I haven’t updated in so long. I know there is at least ONE person (you know who you are) who is visiting my blog periodically to see if I have updated. I appreciate your loyalty and perseverance. The latter, they say, always pays off. I guess “they” are right.
Why haven’t I updated???? It’s hard to say. Maybe because I have ADD and subsequently do start things I don’t finish. Also, I haven’t really had anything I wanted to publicly discuss...no, that’s not true. The truth is, I don’t know why. Maybe I got bored with writing. Maybe I had writer’s block. I’m certainly not uninspired.
I’m not one to write in blogs about myself. I’ve read other blogs in which the owners go on in great length about themselves. I’m always tempted to write a top 10 things I hate about blogs. Hey, that would be a great topic for a blog!
Top ten things I hate about blogs
1. Music that plays automatically - I resent being assaulted with someone elses music, especially when it’s not my cup of tea.
2. Blogs that mention the weather - “it’s raining cats and dogs and....” as if that were inspiration for writing. Who cares? And have you ever SEEN it rain a cat? or a dog for that matter. (I have seen it “rain frogs”, however.)
3. Blogs that exist solely for the purpose of giving the writer a reason to write. These blogs always consist of a narration of daily events in the writer’s life. “I got up and fed the cat. Then I called my mom and checked my email.”
4. Blogs that haven’t been updated in 6 months. a-hem...
5. When you pull up a blog and there is this box that prompts you to write something in it, then you can’t get rid of the box, or navigate the page, or get to your “back” button. The only thing you can do is alt-ctrl-del and close the browser. grrrrr.......those people should be banished from the Internet forever!
6. People who don’t care about the English language enough to barely be readable. Bad grammer can be forgiven, but people, please! Try to at least be comprehensible! Here is an example, a sentence I copied off a blog.
“The people that say this, really feel the need or just feel it and are those that need to value them because they said.” Eh.....What? Looks like the writer sent it through “Babelfish” before publishing.
7. Ad blogs. Blogs with no purpose except to display “google ads”. They usually have YouTube video content or titles like “Autos and Videos” to pick up hits from search engines.
8. Ad blogs with links that trick you into going to other ad blogs. No, really. They exist.
9. Blogs with numerous pictures of the owner and nothing else. No comments, no writing, nothing. That’s not what a blog is for. There are sites for pics, such as Flikr, Imageshack, and Photobucket.
10. People that think they know so much about blogging, that they can write about how not to blog! Ha!