Sunday, July 10, 2005

Covered in Rain

Have you ever noticed how certain music sometimes fits your life? Certain songs address the same feelings, the same situations, the same events that you are experiencing in your life?

I rediscovered John Mayer today. Damn, he has such insight and wisdom for such a young man. He’s what, 26, 27? He writes songs that makes me think about things I haven’t thought about in years…how I felt as a teenager, starting out, wanting to get away from all things familiar and start fresh. My life, my rules. That’s what I get out of “Why Georgia?”
I am tempted to keep the car in drive
And leave it all behind
Cause I wonder sometimes
About the outcome
Of a still verdictless life
How many times have I felt like that?

The song that really made me pay attention to this gifted musician and songwriter was “Your Body is a Wonderland”...“One pair of candy lips and your bubblegum tongue” sang in that breathy, dripping-with-sex tone he has. Well, I still get flustered when I hear it. The man can write about sex. And love. And childhood. And even the frustration everyone feels with just life in general as in “Something’s Missing.”
How come everything I think I need
Always comes with batteries?
What do you think it means?
His lyrics become relevant in my life when I hear them. Especially now.

He has a grasp on reality, a poet’s way of looking at life and is totally grounded, not jaded at all about his life. He writes about wanting a “normal” 9-5 life in “Home Life,” wishing for something more than the superficial life of a musician.
And I will go to my grave
With the life that I gave
Not just some melody line
On a radio wave
It dissipates
And soon evaporates
But home life doesn't change
John Mayer is a little bit jazz, rock, romantic ballad...influenced by Sting, Jimi Hendrix, possibly the Beatles...you can hear them all in his music. And he acts as a catalyst for feelings and images that inspire me to write and plan and dream.
When autumn comes, it doesn't ask.
It just walks in, where it left you last.
And you never know, when it starts
Until there's fog inside the glass around your summer heart.

Wonder how he feels about older women?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home